Sunday, January 20, 2013

Africa, Week Two

My goodness, it has been a long two weeks.

On Tuesday, I finally got overwhelmed by the amount of homework, the intimidating time and energy commitment required for sorority recruitment, and the whole mess of future-planning (job-searching and housing research). It started to make me feel a little crazy (crazier than usual). Thank goodness God's in charge and He will provide. I took a quick run out in the healing rain and it was most lovely.


Class-wise, this week we read the Crucible (still dislike), A Raisin in the Sun (cool!) and Siszwe Banzi is Dead (super interesting, plus our professor did his dissertation on Althol Fugard). We looked at lots of images by South African photographers. We watched "I Am Because We Are."


Tayla, Margaret and Katherine accompanied me on several runs. We made it through a lot of rain. I did a lot of strategic sorority socializing and I made my second-ever bar appearance with my Dgroup. I spoke in front of approximately 600 people and I felt fine: a vast improvement from my freshman days in public speaking. I cannot quite believe I will never have times quite like this weekend with my sorority sisters again, and that I am leaving for Africa in only seven days: my goodness.


I processed two big questions in a preparatory exercise this week:



  • What types of contributions are needed by the world at this point in history?

People need to really love and sacrifice for others. We need to live according to God's will. We need to figure out tangible things we can do to help others on a regular basis. We need to live boldly, and trust without being constantly fearful.


  • What does the world need less of?

Selfishness, suffering, inequality, poverty, entitlement, ignorance, malnourishment, waste, trash, laziness, fear.

Off to pack and finish three papers and a group project. 'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment