Thursday, September 28, 2017

My First 21 Days (as a D.C. Resident)


Things I both intentionally and unintentionally did during my earliest days as a new DMV area resident…
  1. Visited the National Museum of African American History and Culture 
  2. Tried a week of CorePower Yoga classes 
  3. Fell wholeheartedly in love with The Coffee Bar 
  4. Missed my metro stop twice
  5. Attended a panel discussion of the intersection of adolescent mental health and gender at the International Center for Research on Women 
  6. Spotted someone I knew downtown
  7. Paddleboated at the Jefferson Memorial 
  8. Enjoyed D.C. Restaurant Week
  9. Viewed the great American eclipse at the National Air and Space Museum 
  10. Did homeless outreach with Capital Life Church 
  11. Developed “the Garden Route” on a morning run: six gardens plus a swing past the National Museum of African Art in an hour’s run
  12. Rode the Smithsonian Carousel
  13. Read every events calendar that I saw or heard of and got overwhelmed by all of the options
  14. Attended my first Nationals baseball game 
  15. Visited a trendy downtown watering hole on Friday night with my boy
  16. Discovered that Miss America 2018 lived in my building last year
  17. Ran “stadiums” on the Lincoln Memorial steps 
  18. Beat the morning reveal of the daily national front pages at the Newseum
  19. Volunteered at the 202 Arts and Music Festival 
  20. Attended my first navy football game
  21. Was a minority at the grocery store
  22. Got invited to dinner in the Trump International Hotel
  23. Did two group workouts with the DC Road Runners 
  24. Got honked at in rush hour traffic
  25. Joined the PRSA-NCC pro-bono committee 
  26. Crammed through a partially dysfunctional metro door into a crowd of humans at rush hour
  27. Visited Eastern Market for lunch 
  28. Heard a private sneak preview of a National Archives lecture
  29. Ate a sushi burrito, Afghan food, a rapidly melting snow cone and most importantly, Sweetgreen   
  30. Hit the last Sculpture Garden jazz concert of the summer 
It's an interesting and busy place and I'm thankful for the opportunity to move here and live downtown.


1 comment: